- Explore the combination of PDG/Progesterone and LH urine testing for the dynamic monitoring of the menstrual cycle
- Explain the use of e-technology for complementing the menstrual cycle charting
Following this webinar, Dr. Levia's research, "Combination of Home-Based Hormonal and Mobile Technology for Virtual Monitoring of Menstrual Cycles" was published in the open-access journal, Annals of Family Medicine, following the webinar. A supplementary document is also available at this link, which Dr. Levia and his team used to explain to patients how progesterone monitoring is used to confirm the luteal phase, as well as included links to some FABMs providers and at-home progesterone testing kits.
- Ecochard R, Leiva R, Bouchard T, Boehringer H, Direito A, Mariani A, Fehring R. Use of urinary pregnanediol 3-glucuronide to confirm ovulation. Steroids. 2013 Oct;78(10):1035-40. doi: 10.1016/j.steroids.2013.06.006. Epub 2013 Jul 4. PMID: 23831784.
- B. O'Farrell Lateral Flow Immunoassay , R. Wong and H. Tse, Humana Press, Totowa, NJ, 2009, 14–14
- Leiva R, Burhan U, Kyrillos E, Fehring R, McLaren R, Dalzell C, Tanguay E. Use of ovulation predictor kits as adjuncts when using fertility awareness methods (FAMs): a pilot study. J Am Board Fam Med. 2014 May-Jun;27(3):427-9. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2014.03.130255. PMID: 24808123.
- Leiva R, Bouchard T, Boehringer H, Abulla S, Ecochard R. Random serum progesterone threshold to confirm ovulation. Steroids. 2015 Sep;101:125-9. doi: 10.1016/j.steroids.2015.06.013. Epub 2015 Jun 22. PMID: 26111590.
- Leiva RA, Bouchard TP, Abdullah SH, Ecochard R. Urinary Luteinizing Hormone Tests: Which Concentration Threshold Best Predicts Ovulation? [published correction appears in Front Public Health. 2018 Nov 30;6:345]. Front Public Health. 2017;5:320. Published 2017 Nov 28. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2017.00320
- Leiva, Rene & McNamara-Kilian, Marie & Niezgoda, Helen & Ecochard, Rene & Bouchard, Thomas. (2019). Pilot observational prospective cohort study on the use of a novel home-based urinary pregnanediol 3-glucuronide (PDG) test to confirm ovulation when used as adjunct to fertility awareness methods (FAMs) stage 1. BMJ Open. 9. e028496. 10.1136/bmjopen-2018- 028496.
- Leiva R, DiRienzo L. Combination of Home-Based Hormonal and Mobile Technology for Virtual Monitoring of Menstrual Cycles. Ann Fam Med. 2021;19(2):180. doi:10.1370/afm.2653
Dr. Rene Leiva
Rene Leiva (MD CM, CCFP, FCFP) is a physician and researcher based in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Dr. Rene Leiva obtained his medical degree from McGill University and is an Assistant Professor with the University of Ottawa, Department of Family Medicine. One of his main focuses of interest is modern methods of Fertility Awareness Methods and their impact on family planning and infertility. He has published several peer-reviewed research articles.
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation and Credit Statement: